Betty La Fea
|Betty la Fea|
|Genre||telenovela, comedy, romance|
|Created by||Liliana Hernandez|
|Directed by||Mario Ribero|
|Starring|| Ana María Orozco |
Jorge Enrique Abello
|Country of origin|| Template:COL|
|No. of episodes||169|
|Producer(s)||Maria del Pilar|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Original channel||RCN TV|
|Original run||1999 – 2001|
Betty La Fea or Yo Soy, Betty la fea (I am Betty, the ugly one) is an original Colombian telenovela which was shown between 1999-2001 in RBC television station in that same country. It premiered in Philippine television through the GMA Network.
This is the story of Beatriz Pinzón Solano. Although she is a bright economist with a masters degree in finances, she finds it hard to land a job because of her looks.
Aside from that, her boyfriend left her after being together for a few days. She learned the hard way that love was not for her and that she would be a spinster all her life.
So Betty dedicated all her time and efforts to her studies and prepared herself for a bright professional future. This pleased Hermes, Betty’s father, a very demanding and over protective man.
Everything changes when she starts to work at Eco Moda, one of the largest fashion enterprises in the country. There she meets and falls in love with Armando Mendoza, the company's new president.
Although she has higher opportunities for what she has achieved in college, she accepts the position of a secretary because she just wants to get any job that comes to her. She knows that her looks do not help her, and for this reason she decides to start from the bottom and work her way up to an executive position, which she deserves.
Betty really starts low at Eco Moda. She is kept out of sight in an old attic, while a beautiful woman sits at the reception area of the company’s CEO office. That’s her luck for being hideous looking.
Betty accepts this all, just to be there. She is happy with this situation since it allows her to be near her boss, Armando Mendoza, a handsome executive who has inherited the company’s presidency from his father. She has to see him on a daily basis, preparing everything that he needs, having strong longing for him, even though Armando doesn;t even see her as any other woman. To him, she is only a human being who provides him with brilliant ideas and covers up his clandestine dates from his fiancée, Marcela Valencia, a sophisticated fashion designer who despises Betty.
Betty never had any friends, since none of her neighbors or classmates wanted to be associated with someone as ugly as her. But she is able to find ones who are just like her.
Hugo Lombardi, top designer at ECO Moda, has categorized them as belonging to the “Ugly Women’s Barrack”, and never allows them to come near his working area. From their Barrack, Betty and her friends watch the world of the glamorous, delight themselves by gossiping about the models who work there, and give each other support in their problems.
Betty thinks she is the most unfortunate one of the group. The other women of the Barrack are either married, divorced, single mothers, or engaged, but she has never had the chance to experience love.
Pretty soon things start to change for Betty. Armando involves the company in financial problems. Betty is always there to help him get out of trouble time after time, but Eco Moda is constantly exposed to the dangers of his rash business moves. They both work side by side long hours every day. One evening Armando ends up madly and passionately kissing Betty. This is the most beautiful kiss Betty has ever known, a kiss which sends her flying and start dreaming and hoping for love. Yet, it is also the most infernal kiss of her life, since she knows that is was not meant with love, but instead it was all part of a business strategy that her boss played with the ugly girls at work, sacrificing himself by kissing her. It is also this kiss which changes her life, for she will never be the same. The new Betty will have an amazing body together with a complete soul transformation which will teach her boss that that girl which he kissed drunk one evening with eyes wide shut, is now a woman worthy of any mans love.
- Ana María Orozco as Beatriz Aurora "Betty" Pinzón Solano
- Jorge Enrique Abello as Armando Mendoza Sáenz
- Natalia Ramírez as Marcela Valencia
- Lorna Paz as Patricia Fernández de Brickman
- Luis Mesa as Daniel Valencia
- Julián Arango as Hugo Lombardi
- Ricardo Vélez as Mario Calderón
- Mario Duarte as Nicolas Mora and as Himself
- Kepa Amuchastegui as Roberto Mendoza
- Talú Quintero as Margarita Sáenz De Mendoza
- Celmira Luzardo as Catalina Ángel
- Jorge Herrera as Hermes Pinzón Galarza
- Adriana Franco as Julia Solano Galindo de Pinzón
- Pilar Uribe as Maria Beatriz Valencia
- Júlio César Herrera as Freddy Stewart Contreras
- Dora Cadavid as Inés Peña de Gómez
- Stefanía Gomez as Aura María Fuentes
- Luces Velásquez as Bertha Muñoz de González
- Marcela Posada as Sandra Patiño
- María Eugenía Arboleda as Mariana Valdéz
- Paulo Sanchez Neira as "Engineer Ortiz"
- 2002 TP De Oro for:
-Mejor Telenovela (Best Soap Opera)
Versions of the Series
- Esti Ha'mechoeret (Israel)
- Jassi Jaissi Koi Nahin (India)
- Sensiz Olmuyor (Turkey)
- Verliebt in Berlin (Germany)
- Ne Rodis' Krasivoy (Russia)
- La Fea Más Bella (Mexico)
- Lotte (Netherlands)
- Yo Soy Bea (Spain)
- I Love Betty La Fea (Philippines)
- Ugly Betty (United States)
- Maria, i Asximi (Greece)
- Sara (Belgium)
- Ne daj se, Nina (Croatia)
- Ošklivka Katka (Czech Republic)
- Tudo Por Amor (Portugal)
- Chou Nu Wu Di (China)
- Cô Gái Xấu Xí' (Vietnam)
In the Philippines
Betty La Fea premiered on GMA Network. During that time, the series has already ended in Colombia, as well as its sequel. So GMA’s competing network, ABS-CBN Broadcasting Network, bought the franchise of that sequel entitled Eco Moda and competed it with Betty La Fea on the same schedule.
In 2008, there have been rumors that ABS-CBN will be doing a Philippine remake of Betty La Fea. Names of Regine Velasquez, Angel Locsin, Anne Curtis, KC Concepcion, among others have appeared as the choices for the lead role.
As for the leading man, Armando Mendoza, the name of Gabby Concepcion has been talked about to play that role ever since he came back to the country after a very long time and signed an exclusive contract with the television station.
- Pulumbarit, Oliver. "'Ugly Betty' is pretty comely". Philippine Daily Inquirer. 29 April 2007. (accessed on May 8, 2008)
- Santiago, Erwin. "Bea Alonzo gets the plum role in "Betty la Fea"". Philippine Entertainment Portal. 6 May 2008 (accessed on May 8, 2008)
- Tupaz, Marisol. "Who Will be the Pinay Betty la Fea?". Pinoy Chronicle. 12 March 2008. (accessed on May 8, 2008)