To view related article in Filipino, please click Chin-Chin Gutierrerez”.
Chin-Chin Gutierrez (born November 22, 1972 in Manila) is a Filipino actress and environmentalist. Awarded as one of the best actresses in Asia, she uses her stature as a celebrity to further promote environmental awareness making her a sought-after speaker and lecturer for environmental education. Her environmental accomplishments earned her the award of appearing in Time Magazine (Asia), in April 2003, as one of the year's Asian Heroes.
Chin-Chin Gutierrez was born to a botanist father. During her childhood she exhibited fondness for flowers and trees through memorization of various plant species. Her mother, a former nun, and a painter exposed her to artistic expression and spirituality.
Chin-Chin Gutierrez has appeared in various cinema, stage, and television shows including Maalaala Mo Kaya, which earned her first Gawad Urian Award for Best Actress, and Maging Sino Ka Man, a popular drama series in ABS-CBN. Other television and cinema appearances include the following:
- Maalaala Mo Kaya: Wedding Ring
- Precious Hearts Romances Presents: Kristine
- Maalaala Mo Kaya: Isda
- Dahil May Isang Ikaw
- Maalaala Mo Kaya: Tasa
- May Bukas Pa
- Maging Sino Ka Man: Book 2
- Maging Sino Ka Man
- Komiks Presents: The Adventures of Pedro Penduko
- Komiks Presents: Valentina
- Habang Kapiling Ka
- Au Bout Du Roulou (France)
- Noli Me Tangere
- Cul De Sac
- Tall as Trees (USA)
- I've Fallen For You
- A Love Story
- The Mourning Girls
- Manila (Germany)
- Pedrong Palad
- Jose Rizal
- Ama Namin
- My Guardian Devil
- April, May, June
- Sa Pusod ng Dagat
- Bayad Puri
- Ikaw Lang Ang Mahal Ko
- Bloo (France)
- Ipaglaban Mo: The Movie
- Sa Aking Mga Kamay
- Mula Noon, Hanggang Ngayon
- Lagalag: The Eddie Fernandez Story
- Maalaala Mo Kaya: The Movie
- Di Na Natuto (Sorry Na, Pwede Ba?)
- Bakit Labis Kitang Mahal
She promotes ecological awareness through her influence as an actress. She currently conducts lectures for various topics including, waste mangement, sustainable development, and sustainable consumer lifestyles.
Chin-Chin Gutierrez has independently produced two albums including, Uyayi: A Collection of Philippine Lullabies and Mater Vitae: Whispers of a New World to promote the culture of Philippine indigenous peoples and feminism.
In April 2004, the National Commission for Culture and Arts (NCCA) produced Uyayi as a full concert at the Alliance Francaise Theater of the World in France supported by the National Commission for Culture and Arts (NCCA). Chin-Chin was also invited to sing at the Miho Museum and Shumei Natural Agriculture Open-Air Theater in Shigaraki Prefecture, in Japan.
Chin-Chin Gutierrez launched a solo exhibit in May 2006, Whispers of a New World: A Celebration of Canvasses and Canticles, at Bliss Cafe in Baguio City. The exhibit featured 21 works in pastel, watercolor, and acrylic representing the five elements: fire, earth, water, air, and spirit.
Awards and Recognition
- Time Magazine's Asian Heroes, April 2003
- The Outstanding Women in Nation's Service (TOWNS) Award, 2004
- Best Actress, Asian Television Awards, 1996
- Best Supporting Actress for Maalaala Mo Kaya, Gawad Urian, 1994
- Chin-Chin Gutierrerez. chinchingutierrez.com.ph (Accessed 08 August 2009)
- Navato-Camacho, Leonarda. “100 Years: 100 Women Artists, The Centennial of the Feminist Movement in the Philippines.” Cultural Center of the Philippines, March 08, 2005.
- "Chin-Chin Gutierrerez: A Natural Beauty." Time Magazine. 2003. (Accessed 08 August 2009)